If you have been visiting here long you know my family has a story. My hubby and daughter have both had to have heart transplants. That being said cooking became a challenge for me, we needed lower sodium meals.
I was used to the sloppy joe sauce that came in a can. Now I can’t imagine I ever used it, it is filled with sodium. So I had to start experimenting, I wanted sloppy joes to still be an easy to prepare meal but taste good too.
This recipe fits both categories. And the whole family approved that is a win win!
First cook your onion, garlic, red pepper and seasonings until soft. And then add your hamburger and cook until the burger is cooked throughly.
After your burger you can start adding the rest of the ingredients. Cook for at least a half an hour to let everything marry together and become a delicious tasteful sloppy joe.
It does thicken the longer it cooks too. I have done this same recipe with a roast too and different meats mixed together like pork and beef. I like to serve this with a fresh salad and or fresh veggies and dip.
Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 1/2 White onion Chopped
- 1/2 large Red Pepper Chopped
- 1 clove garlic Minced
- 1 C Ketchup
- 3 T Brown Sugar Light or Dark
- 2 t Worchester sauce
- 1/2 t Low sodium soy sauce
- 1 T Yellow mustard
- Add some olive oil to your pan and then add your onion, garlic and red pepper along with your ground pepper. Cook until soft.
- Add in your choice of meat and cook thoroughly.
- After meat is cooked add in all the rest of the ingredients. Cook at least one half hour on medium low heat or until thickened.